Session 4 – Promoting cultural understanding
Stage of the project
Building awareness of:
- culture as a uniting power between members of a network/group
- multicultural and intercultural relations as an expanding power across communities
Pair and group work, presentation and mini project
Appreciating cross-cultural relations
1. Lead-in (10-20 min.)
“ask and write down how many networks your partner is a member of.”
- Trainer posts examples i.e. friends, people who speak the same language etc.
- Participants post networks on white board.
2. Presentation (45. min.)
Trainer highlights the following:
- We play different roles in different networks, e.g. siblings, classmates, family
- Different networks exist in different environments e.g., classroom, home, hometown
- Different networks supply us with different needs and interests e.g., a sense of identity and belonging.
3. Mini project (60 min.)
Groups of 6-10 participants:
- Make charts over:
- the shared benefits of the peer-network from the diverse resources,
- the desirable values and behaviours in the peer-network,
- the norms all members of the peer-group.
No. 3 can be a one-day project with more activities and more ambitious outcomes.