Session 3 – Promoting cultural understanding
Stage of the project
Building awareness of:
- One-cultural relations as a bonding power between members of a community
- Multicultural/intercultural relations as an expanding power across communities
Group work, presentation and reflection
Understanding the role of shared values in relations with others
1. Lead-in (10-15 min.)
- Group work of 6-8 participants
🡪 Trainer writes on white/smart board, values.
🡪 Trainer asks participants “Find a pair; a value and its opposite/opposites.”
🡪 trainer stimulates brainstorm by writing an example e.g., forgiveness versus hate/revenge
🡪 Each group writes their pair-words on board/smart board.
2. Presentation (30 min.)
“We need values to bond with our communities by”:
- reducing conflicts in relations between members of the network/cultural group
- ensuring the safety of the group
- protecting the group’s interests
(Trainer supports the presentation by examples e.g. “The value, forgiveness, keeps us away from harming the group by hate and revenge).
3. Reflections (10-15 min.)
“Choose a value that you find ideal and reflect on why it is important for a certain network/cultural group.”
4. Recap (30 min.)
In plenary: “Share your reflections with the group.”