Session 2 – Promoting group-spirit and room for the individual
Stage of the project
Understanding culture as one of three elements of our unique individual-identity and our group-identity:
- Limited to the group/cultural
Brainstorm, presentation and group work
- Appreciating all participants as one young group regardless cultural backgrounds
- Appreciating each participant as a unique young individual with a unique life experience regardless cultural background
1. Lead-in (10-15 min.)
Group discussion, 6-8 participants:
“Culture is one of three levels that create the way we think and act:
- The universal level. For example, we all speak a language.
- The cultural/multicultural level: for example, we all practice and follow certain norms in our relations.
- The personal level: For example, each one has their own fingerprint.
Find other examples of the three levels.”
(Trainer monitors the groups and helps by eliciting examples.)
2. Presentation (45. min.)
- Divide the white/smart board into three columns enlisting the following_
- Inherited universal human nature:
- A need to be with others
- Feeling love, joy, fear, anger etc.
- Ability to create, learn and communicate through a very complex code-system (language)
- Curiosity to understand communicate about our life and our environment/universe
- Acquired group culture
- Individual personality:
- The individual’s inherited physical features e.g., eye colour.
- The individual’s acquired life experience in one or different cultures
3. Recap (10-15 min.)
- “Reflect on and find examples of how culture regulates both our social human nature and our individual personalities.”
- “Share your reflections with your group.”